In our age of innovative technologies, it’s difficult to imagine your life without computers, phones, game consoles and etc. Many people have these things, and now it happens that they serve not only for work, but also for entertainment. Video games have a special place.
Their number has recently increased significantly, and the types have become very diverse. A person can look at the screen for a long time and thoughtfully, waiting for an answer in a chess game, which he began with a calculating artificial computer intelligence. Or expand your horizons and knowledge of history, playing an exciting strategy. But, unfortunately, often people hang the label “harmful” on the games. So what are the positive sides in video games?
1) Develop logic, attention and train memory.
Existing games somehow have a task setting function. Their goal is to require the player to solve it. The simplest example is puzzles and quests when a player is required to solve a puzzle using his or her brain. Popular company creating such games – “Alavar”
2) Improving the ability to process information. Japanese professor Hiroki Yugi analyzed the relationship between the video game and the ability to process information for kindergarten children. When children are divided into two groups – familiar with video games and not familiar with them, they are given a logical test of the tasks. The test result showed that the group familiar with video games thinks faster. From this it follows that the ability to process information increases when playing video games.
3) Multitasking, simultaneous tracking of many multiple objectives.
Often, in video games, numerous tasks are set, for which many hours are allocated. Usually, the choice of the player depends on the ending of the game or the development of the plot in a different direction. Sabrina Schenk, who studies at the University of Bochum’s German Rules, conducted research on a group of people who played games more than 20 hours a week and a group that did not play games at all. The content of the study was for both sides to solve puzzles that test academic skills. The results showed that a group of people who usually play games showed the best result. In addition, they noted that people who play games use a multi-tasking approach.
4) Thoughts and memories.
Video games differ from movies and books in their playability. It is because of this that dopamine is secreted when playing a computer. The place of the brain where thought and memory are controlled works well. The player lives the life of the character in his place. Also help great music and graphics.
5) Brain activity. All button presses develop motor skills and muscle memory, which develops memory.
6) Performance. In order to move on to the next task in the game, memory is necessary, and in order to perform tasks in the game well, you have to train, reflect and do error analysis (the ability to plan and execute).
7) Teamwork and cooperation when played with others
Online video games help the player to cooperate with other players during a single task. Now an excellent example of such interaction is e-sports, which along with classic sports is gaining popularity and brings more money to the team.
8) Developing reading and math skills
On the shelves of modern stores there are a huge number of games for children, aimed at their education and creativity. While I was in the first grade, I played a lot of educational games, where you could draw, solve examples and learn languages. This later helped me at school to better assimilate information.